Emergency Orthodontist In Bronx, NY | Northeastern Braces

Your Local Emergency Orthodontist in Bronx, NY

Orthodontic Emergency CareDuring your orthodontic treatment, you may experience soreness, loose teeth, or might even have appliances break. If any of these situations arise, call our office! We can help assess whether you require an appointment, or suggest some tips to get rid of pain or irritation!

Soreness in Teeth & Gum

After getting your braces put on, it is normal to feel a bit of tenderness or soreness in your teeth and gums. We can assure you that the soreness will subside. For pain relief, you can try a salt water rinse. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of lukewarm water, and then gargle for a couple of minutes. If you don’t get any relief after rinsing, you can take acetaminophen or other non-aspirin pain medicine.

As your mouth gets used to the braces, you may experience some irritation in your cheeks, lips, and tongue. We can provide you with wax which you can put over the braces. This helps to decrease the irritation.

Loose Teeth

After your braces are put on, your teeth may feel a bit loose. This is normal. Before your teeth can be straightened, the braces must first loosen your teeth. The looseness will go away once your teeth have been repositioned.

Wires & Rubberbands

If your rubberbands or wires come loose during treatment, please contact the office so we can make any necessary repairs to your appliances. If a piece of your appliance comes apart, please bring the part into the office with you.

There are some home remedies for loose wires and rubberbands. You can use the pencil end of an eraser to gently push a loose wire back into place. You can also apply some wax to the loose wire in order to prevent irritation. If you need to cut the wire, you may use sterilized fingernail clippers. If you have any questions, please call the office, and we can tell you how to proceed!

Lost Separator

Many patients lose a separator during treatment. This is common. If a separator does come out, please call the office to find out if it needs to be replaced.